One Pan Sausage and Veggies Dinner
First things first, #soulwork in the kitchen...
Song I'm Feelin':
Quote I'm Lovin':
"Whatever makes you feel the sun from the inside out, chase that." -Gemma Troy
Scents I'm Sniffin':
This one pan meal is low on time and money, and full of flavor and nutrients. I like choosing the red, yellow, and orange bell peppers verse just the green to increase the nutrient content (different colors!) of the meal with ease.
-Bell peppers contain a lottt of vitamin C, and we could all use more of that during cold and flu season. The orange and yellow peppers also provide vitamin E, vitamin A, vitamin K, potassium, and folate. The different colors bring in more phytonutrients that work together to protect our body from disease and illness, from the inside out. We all know broccoli is good for us, and roasting it brings out more flavor and makes it easier to digest compared to raw.
If you don't like bell peppers, you can sub tomatoes and thinly sliced carrots, or sweet potatoes, to provide similar nutrients.
-The chicken sausage provides flavorful, fairly cheap (per serving size), and quick protein option with less saturated fat and good quality ingredients.
-The Seeds of Change rice packs provide a quick whole grain source to add more fiber and nutrient-dense carbohydrates. This specific flavor has quinoa, corn and more bell peppers for additional flavor and nutrients. Mmm!
Recipe makes 4 servings.
What You Need:
4 bell peppers (mix up the colors!), washed and cut into bite-sized pieces
2 heads broccoli, washed and florets chopped off from stems
1, 12 oz. package Aidell's Chicken Sausage (...can sub for similar product!)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. kosher or sea salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
Optional: grated or shaved parmesan
2, 8.5 oz. bags Seeds of Change rice (I chose their spanish style rice.) If cooking for two people, only microwave one bag, then microwave second bag when having leftovers (saves some clean up time/another dirty dish).
What You Do:
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
2. Wash and chop veggies.
3. Place edible portion of vegetables on prepared baking sheet. Cut sausage into bite-sized pieces.
4. Drizzle that olive oil over veggies. Shake that salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder over veggies and sausage. Sprinkle parmesan over top if using.
5. Throw in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes... Go wash your face, fold laundry, or put your feet up.
6. Microwave the rice bag(s).
7. Take baking sheet out of oven. I recommend having the broccoli cooked to a little crispiness, it adds more flavor. More parmesan can be added afterwards.
8. Plate & ENJOY your meal! Throw that parchment paper/aluminum foil away, put the pan away, rinse off dishes - Voila!
P.S. I know my baking sheet looks like I never wash it- I promiseee I do. It's well-loved. ;)